The One Freelance Rate Calculator to Rule Them All
Get ready to stop thinking about your rates—
and get back to doing what you love.
Throughout your freelancing career, how much time and mental energy have you spent trying to figure out what to charge? Twenty hours? One hundred? Two hundred?
How many times have you:
- Run the numbers over and over, without ever feeling 100% confident in them?
- Felt concerned that your rates won't be enough to cover your expenses?
- Avoided using payment processors because they charge fees?
- Wondered how you'll possibly save for retirement and other goals?
- Spent hours tweaking a client estimate because you think your rates are too high/low?
- Sent off an estimate or proposal only to feel a huge wave of anxiety?
The vast majority of freelancers care about doing things right: providing the best services for our clients, staying organized, and being productive.
But even with our can-do, entrepreneurial attitude, it's beyond challenging to set rates that make us feel confident in our businesses.
This is why, after years of working 1:1 with freelancers around the world, I decided to develop the one and only freelance rate calculator you'll ever need.
The Advanced Freelance Rate Calculator
This Excel (.xlsx) workbook will help you find your minimum viable rate in minutes—and it includes the tricky items other calculators leave out, like taxes, payment processor fees, and retirement savings.
You can also use it as part of your annual review, or whenever your expenses change (hello, inflation!) and you need to raise your rates.
It's the one and only tool you'll ever need to set—and reset—your ideal freelance rates.
Go Beyond the Basics
The Advanced Freelance Rate Calculator gives you an in-depth understanding of what you need to charge to create a profitable, joyful freelance editorial business.
Using this calculator, you'll be able to:
- See what your "break-even" number really is
- Understand billable versus nonbillable hours
- Learn how to factor payment processing fees and taxes into your expenses
- Set your rate so you can save for retirement and an emergency fund each year (something almost all freelance rate calculators forget!)
- Play with the numbers to calculate the hourly, daily, and weekly rates that give you freedom in your business
I just wanted to send you my most raving thanks for this tool. I have been trying to figure out my minimal viable hourly/daily rates for quite literally a year at this point, and this made it possible for me to figure them out in five minutes.
I cannot express how much this information helps and how confident this makes me about setting my prices going forward! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I now have a much better understanding of the realities of setting sensible rates for my freelance editing business. Thank you for putting this together.
I've worked with publishing companies, who set their own rates, but I had no idea how much to charge (or to feel comfortable charging) direct clients. Thank you for this; I feel far more confident setting rates now!
Here's a Sneak Peek of What You Get
PLUS A GIFT FOR YOU, MY FELLOW WORD NERD...
FREE BONUS: THE SIMPLE FREELANCE RATE ESTIMATOR
Curious about how much you'll need to work to earn your target salary? Want to see how your billable hours directly correlate to your simplified rate? The simple version of this rate calculator shows you how to:
- Set your income goal and work backward to estimate your rate
- See what you might be missing if you only rely on simple calculators like these
- Compare your simple and advanced calculator results to dig deeper into your numbers
You get two rate calculators for the price of one. Pretty snazzy!